Effective Date: July 23 2019
For our Information practices relating to children, please see Children’s Privacy below. https://myokapi.com/childrens-privacy
- the information that Okapi Educational Publishing, Inc. (Okapi” or "we", “us” or “our) collects from you in any form through any Okapi applications, online services or Okapi websites (including but not limited to https://myokapi.com, https://okapi-access.com, https://flyingstarttoliteracy.com, https://despegando-hacia-la-lectura.com, https://explorationsreading.com, https://explorations-reading-intervention.com, https://new-heights-reading.com, https://okapi-bookrooms.com, https://worldwise-reading.com, https://thinkokapi.com, https://flyingstartwip.com, https://worldwise-investigations.com, and https://worldwise-assessment.com) (collectively “Websites”);
- how we collect, use and disclose the information that we receive, including sharing that information with third parties; and
- how we store and secure information.
How to Contact Us
Okapi Educational Publishing, Inc.
42381 Rio Nedo, Temecula, CA 92590
Services We Provide
We offer the following services (“Services”) on our Websites:
- We provide products, services, tools and resources to educators to help support and facilitate the education process;
- Our Websites offer tips and practical guidance for literacy teachers;
- We offer on-line educational facilitation tools including but not limited to Flying Start Activities, Worldwise Investigations and Worldwise Assessments. Teachers use these tools inside and outside the classroom to help students meet educational goals and to assess students’ level of comprehension.
- We work with independent sales representative to make our tools and resources available to educators.
Information We Collect
Information You Provide to Us. We will collect data from you that you voluntarily provide.
- Account Information. You can create an account with us to receive newsletters and communications from us and also to track orders, download products, access purchased services, and manage account information. If you choose to register and create a user account with us, we collect your first and last name, e-mail address and send you a verification email.
- Newsletter/Communications/Sample Request. You can provide us with your email address, your title or position and school or district information to receive our newsletter and receive information from leading voices in literacy and gain access to tool for immediate use. To request samples of our products, you would also provide mailing address, telephone and appropriate grade level information.
- Purchase Products/Services. If would like to purchase a product or service from our on-line store at https://myokapi.com/okapi-store/flying-start-to-literacy.html, you will be asked to provide your name, address, email address, and school/district information. If you choose to make payment via credit card, you will be prompted to enter credit card information, which will be sent via a secure connection directly to our third party payment processor. You also will have the option to store your payment information. Our third party payment processor provides the stored payment option. We do not have access to your payment information.
- Contact Us. If you provide us with feedback or contact us via e-mail, we will collect your name and e-mail address, as well as any other content included in the e-mail, in order to send you a reply.
Information We Receive From Your Use of Our Website.
Information We Receive From Others.
Links to Third Party Websites
How We Use and Share Your Information
We use your information only for purposes of providing the Services described above. We do not sell your information to anyone. Specifically, we will use or share your information as detailed below.
With your consent. We may share your information with third parties if you have given us your consent to do so.
To perform services. We may use or disclose your information to third parties in order to perform Services you request such as processing an order for the delivery of a Flying Start to Literacy product.
To communicate with you. We use your data to send you information about our Services, to respond to you when you contact us, to call you as a part of secondary fraud protection, or to solicit your feedback. If you provided us with an email address, we may also send newsletters, surveys, offers, and other promotional materials related to our Services. You can control these marketing communications by using your notification preferences in account settings or via the “Unsubscribe” link in an email.
With third party service providers performing services on our behalf. We may share information with our third party service providers to perform the functions for which we engage them. For example, a third party payment processor collects all credit card information for secure processing and storage. Further, we may share information as needed to operate other related services. For example, we may share information about you with Google Analytics so that Google Analytics can provide us with information about Website usage.
To improve, personalize, and develop Services. We use the information we collect to improve and personalize Services and to develop new services and benefits.
For legal purposes. We may preserve or disclose information about you to comply with a law, regulation, legal process, or governmental request; to assert legal rights or defend against legal claims; or to prevent, detect, or investigate illegal activity, fraud, abuse, violations of our terms, or threats to the security of the Services or the physical safety of any person.
Legal Basis for Processing Your Information
We will only use your personal data when the applicable law allows us to. Under most circumstances, we will use your information for the following permissible reasons:
- When we need to perform the contract we are about to enter into or have entered into with you (e.g. when we provide products or services to you or your school district);
- When it is necessary for us to carry out our legitimate interest so long as your interests and fundamental rights do not override our interests;
- Where we need to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation; or
- When we have your consent (e.g. when you request to receive newsletters or additional information). You can withdraw your consent at any time by contacting us.
Your Options Regarding Your Information
If you decide at any time that you no longer wish to accept Cookies from our Services for any of the purposes described above, then you can instruct your browser, by changing its settings, to stop accepting Cookies or to prompt you before accepting a Cookie from the websites you visit. Consult your browser’s technical information. If you do not accept Cookies, however, you may not be able to use all portions of the Services or all functionality of the Services.
Change Your Information
All users may review, update, correct or delete the personal information in their user account by contacting us https://myokapi.com/contact-us If you completely delete all of your information with us, then your user account will be deactivated. We may retain an archived copy of your records. If you are in a country within the European Economic Area (“EEA”), we will archive your information only as required by law or for legitimate business purposes.
Access or Object to Use of Your Information
In addition to the opt-out and edit options, if you are in a country within the EEA, you can request access to your information, object to or seek to restrict our processing of your information in certain circumstances. Please note that you can always ask us to delete your information from all marketing communications or subscriptions at any time.
If you need further assistance regarding your options, please contact us and we will consider your request in accordance with applicable laws. If you are in the EEA, you also have a right to lodge a complaint with your local data protection authority.
We retain personal information we collect for as long as needed to provide Services. We will retain and use this personal information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements with users, and/or the period required by laws in applicable jurisdictions. Any student information that is collected, as described under Children’s Privacy https://myokapi.com/childrens-privacy, is deleted at the end of each school year.
We use a combination of technical, administrative, and physical controls to maintain the security of your data. If you have a security-related concern, please contact us. Always be sure to secure your login credentials for on-line access. In order to protect you and your information, we may suspend your use of any of the on-line service, without notice, pending an investigation, if we suspect any breach of security.
Our https://myokapi.com website is not intended for use by children. Children under thirteen (13) should not send any information about themselves to us through this website. On https://myokapi.com, we do not collect personally identifiable data from any person that we know to be under the age of thirteen (13). If we learn that a child under thirteen (13) has submitted information to us through any part of https://myokapi.com, we will attempt to delete this information as soon as practical.
Okapi Educational Publishing, Inc.
42381 Rio Nedo, Temecula, CA 92590
Information Collected From Children
We collect the following information from children under 13 while the child is using applications accessible at https://okapi-access.com at the direction of an educator:
1. With respect to Flying Start Activities, WorldWise Investigations and WorldWise Assessment applications:
- Information on student interaction with activities, investigations and assessments.
2. With respect to the WorldWise Assessment application:
- Student’s first name;
- Roll number, which is a unique identifier that the school assigns and maintains for educators to use to identify each student; and
- Student answers to assessment questions.
We do not use any of the information collected from children for commercial purposes. Information that we collect from children is solely for educational purposes and for the benefit of the educator using the Services.
We may also passively collect information from children’s use of the educational tools on https://okapi-access.com in order to provide progress reports to educators. We also collect other data about usage base on activity, which we describe above (see Information We Receive From Your Use of Our Website https://myokapi.com/privacy-policy)
We contract only with schools, school districts and school boards (collectively “Schools”) directly for the use of the services at https://okapi-access.com. We provide Schools with full notice of our collection, use and disclosure practices prior to the purchase of any products or services.
Request to Review, Delete or No Longer Collect
Do Not Track
The term “Do Not Track” refers to a HTTP header offered by certain web browsers to request that websites refrain from tracking the user. We take no action in response to Do Not Track requests.
CA Consumer Privacy Rights
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 (known as the "Shine the Light" law) requires certain businesses to respond to requests from California customers about personal information disclosed to third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes. We do not disclose customers’ personal information to third parties for third parties’ direct marketing purposes. In the event we do so in the future, we will not disclose any of your personal information to third parties for third parties’ direct marketing purposes unless you consent at the time that you provide your information.